Enamel is the hard, thin, outer layer of the teeth that gives it its structure. It is the hardest tissue in the human body.
The part of the tooth visible outside is called the crown, and the enamel covers it. While some believe that the enamel is the tissue responsible for the tooth’s color, it actually isn’t quite true. Under the enamel is dentin, which gives the tooth its characteristic shade.
What are the symptoms of tooth enamel erosion?
The symptoms of enamel erosion are as follows:
- If your tooth enamel is wearing away, you will experience pain and sensitivity to hot and cold foods.
- Your teeth will start to appear more yellow as more of the dentin is exposed.
- Your front teeth may start to look transparent near the edges.
- Your teeth may experience small dents and cracks near the chewing surface.
If you are down with pain or sensitivity, it is time to visit your dentist for immediate orthodontic attention.
What causes enamel erosion?
Tooth erosion occurs due to excess acid that wears away the enamel. The factors that cause this include:
- Excessive consumption of soft drink and/or fruit drink
- Diets high in sugar and starch
- GERD, or acid reflux disease
- Low salivary flow (dry mouth)
- Gastrointestinal problems
- Certain medications
- Inherited conditions or genetics
- Natural wear and tear, stress, corrosion, friction
Proper dental care can help avoid enamel erosion. It is ideal to consume acidic items to a minimum to keep the ailment at bay. A dentist who has enough experience when it comes to restorative dental will definitely be able to help!
North Coast Dental is a leading Dental Practice in San Marcos California. Our dentists use the latest techniques and technology to provide patients the very best in dental care. From dental hygiene, implants, cosmetic and oral surgery, we are able to treat a wide range of conditions. Visit your local dentist in San Marcos and enjoy better dental health.